Sunday, April 24, 2016

the Streets to School

I was travelling for a village in India, when I came across this remarking incident during my visit.
I got down of my transport and headed for the place I was supposed to be at.
People welcomed me as if they hadn't received any guests in ages.
I felt obliged of their behaviour unlike the fast paced formalities in towns and big cities.
Sitting relaxed in my room, I was knocked by a little girl with her little more brother at my door. Shimmi and Joka.
Shimmi was 7 years of age and Joka was 4.
They handed me over the food their mother cooked for us. It was an unusually simple delicacy, I can remember.
Both the sister and brother kept waiting for my call till I finished my food.
I called them and thanked for the same. I asked them,
"Which class do you study Shimmi, and what about your brother. ?"
She said, "What are you asking, I don't know the meaning of class."
I asked again,  "Which school ....?"
She said,  "What is school. ?" And I now knew that they haven't attended any school yet.
She also said, "My whole day is so busy working the days' chores, that I don't have any time to do anything else. My parents did the same. So I am happy with all in the family."
All she used to do at her age was, cleaning, cooking, nannying her siblings, filling water pitchers and helping her mother in all she was asked for.
.....

I actually realised that moment that most of the kids in villages and slums around, never got a chance to explore the Streets to School !

No comments:

Post a Comment